Tuesday, November 16, 2010

The Weekend

Here's how the last weekend went down.....

FRIDAY: Christmas Gift Home Show with roommate Kelsey. Awesome. I didn't buy anything but I did see lots of stuff I liked, some in the price range, some not. Tried out a fantastic massage pillow (ahhhhh..........) and sampled nearly every item there. I think I probably had about 15+ different pretzel sticks, 15+ different toppings, dips, etc. Jam, dips, salsa, etc. Had a truffle, soup, sausage. But the best was a square of chocolate bundt cakes- LOTS of chocolately goodness packed into just one bite. MMMMmmmmmmm.....

Then my parent stake had a patriotic program that night. Confession here- I mainly went because several immediate and extended family members were participating, I didn't expect more than the choir singing some songs. Well, I wrong. The choir did sing but there was a lot more to it than that! The choir sang Battle Hymn and When Johnny Comes Marching Home, they had a women's trio and a men's quartet singing songs of the post-war era (the trio was a HUGE hit with the audience) But my favorite part was the medely of Armed Forces songs. As per tradition, each man (or woman) stands when there branch is recognized. Some of these men were in their 80's + but seeing them stand proudly really moved me. I appreciated being able to put familiar faces to service. My Uncle Robert served in the army- news to me, or I just plain forgot......

One of the other highlights was a 90 year old fellow from my parents ward being honored for his years of service in, I believe the navy and the army? The emcee read a fitting tribute about his service and his whole face just lit up. Unfortunately, his wife fell earlier that night and cut/bruised her face, but she stayed, I believe she didn't want miss this honor of her husband's! Refreshments were cookies, the large packaged "grandma's cookies" variety.

That night I stayed at my parents and I as I was rummaging through the fridge (with my mom's permission) I found some cheese and tortillas and thought a quesadilla would be really good, with bacon bits and sour cream. I was prepared to just nuke it in the microwave but my mom thought a quesadilla sounded good and so she made them for all of us, cooked on the stove. Wow. Who knew a quesadilla could bring such a smile to my face:?!?!

After Messiah rehearsal the next morning, another grand food experience. Breakfast. With sauteed hashbrowns, kielbasa, fresh pomelo, SO good. Then we all took a quick nap so we could stay awake for the BYU football game and watch them crush Colorado St 49-10.
2 plays of note: a forced fumble picked up by a BYU defender without even breaking a stride, returned for a touchdown. Beautiful. And in the final minute of the game, a 2nd string running back for BYU ran the ball 20 (or more) yards to the 13 yd line. But instead of putting it in for another score, they took a knee. Classy.

Enjoyed dinner at Red Robin with friends that night- personally I thought the my veggie/garden burger tasted just as good as a meat patty, but maybe that's just me.......

No comments: