Tuesday, February 7, 2012

Tortilla Tuesday

Tonight was a stake Relief Society activity, all about Patchwork quilts and "lives pieced together" Well, actually first Alli & I stopped at Article Circle on the way home to let food take our mind off of work for awhile...... Corn dog and fry sauce totally took care of that!

I brought my Grandma Litster's pink patchwork quilt to display and as soon as I get my camera battery charged I'll share a picture of it but for now the story will have to do..... I don't know the story behind the patches of the quilt but it's significant to me because of all the memories associated with it. When I was a little girl, visiting Grandma at her home in Huntington, I was too scared to sleep in the spare room downstairs by myself, so every night grandma got a foam pad, pillow, fitted sheet and the pink quit to make me a bed on her bedroom floor. When I grew older and she moved to Provo, I was OK sleeping in a room by myself but Grandma still made me a bed on the couch with the pink quilt. It reminds me of days with Grandma spent watching the sound of music, eating her special tuna-fish sandwiches, and drinking ruby red grapefruit juice which I still don't like, but never had the heart to tell her so!

The evening started off with some beautiful music from Linda Mansfield on the piano who I've known for years through the Messiah, and Aleena Hatch on the violin, whom I've heard about from Mom and Aunt Elizabeth-that she plays beautifully and they are right! I introduced myself to her :)

There was a taco salad/tortilla bar of sorts for dinner-delicious!!!! It's funny though, from a distance the bowl of olives looked like blueberries and I thought, "Who eats blueberries with Mexican???" then I realized they were olives :) My claim to fame is that this time I did NOT stuff my tortilla so full that I couldn't roll it up!

Sister Zillner was the speaker, I had never met her but I'd heard about from Grandpa, husband Josef Zillner was one of his good friends. She shared various life experiences like serving a mission in Germany/Switzerland, meeting her husband, etc and how those "patchwork pieces" influenced her life.

We also took time to look at the quilts and the stories-some heartbreaking, touching stories! Quilts made by a mother who passed when the daughter was only 14, quilts made by a ward when a family moved, quilt square inherited by a grandmother, etc. Truly touching.

What a good night I had!
Tortilla/taco dinner @ stake RS, quilt display, went with Kerri, grandma litster quilt displayed. Greeted sisters in the stake, aleena & sister mansfield music, sister zilner-guest speaker.

No comments: