Tuesday, August 30, 2011

Single Sunday

Today marked a significant day for me. My last day in a singles ward! Ever since I got back from Taiwan 4 yrs ago I have been attending the singles ward. Technically I don't turn 31 till mid-October but with a new school year, it just seemed like a good time to make a change, rather than waiting for 6-7 more weeks.

It was a day full of such sweet memories, that I could not have anticipated. I didn't tell many people I was leaving, I didn't want a fuss. The only person I deliberately told was the bishop. When I got to church though, the other members of the bishopric asked me if the "rumors were true" Yep. I did make it a point to say goodbye to the bishop's wife after RS though, we've had a lot of talks, visits and they've had dinner with me and my parents in preparation for their son's mission in the Philippines. Very positive relationships for which I am grateful!

However, I made the bishop's wife cry so when I caught the bishop between Sunday School and Sacrament Mtg I said something along the lines of, "Bishop-I made your wife cry but I didn't mean to! Sorry!"

At some point I was hoping to have a chance to share my thoughts, etc with my ward members and I think praying for such an opportunity. So I had a few thoughts in the back of my mind when the bishop said, "We don't do this very often, we should, but Heather's been in this ward longer than I have. (true) Would you like to bear your testimony?" Of course I did!

That morning I told Kelsey I didnt' think I'd cry, I felt at peace, ready to move on, etc. Yeah, I totally lied about the crying part! There was speaker and a congregational hymn (that I was leading) before it was my turn to speak and I was gulping and blinking back tears. NOT because I was sad to go, afraid to change, etc. but just because my heart felt SO full! Memories of kind words from ward members, friends, visiting teaching, callings, ward activities, fun, laughs, love, etc. Hence why the first thing I said when I got up to the pulpit "I don't that I've ever cried at this pulpit (I usually smile brightly) before but today could be the exception." The tears only lasted for about 30 seconds though......

While bearing testimony to the trutfulness of the gospel I talked about a favorite scripture, D&C 58:3-4. "You cannot behold with your natural eyes all the blessings.....which shall follow after tribulation." (condensed version) The point was not that changing wards is a tribulation but that it is a change and change is OK! I also wanted to share that I did have fears, concerns, etc about this new phase in the past, so for those who had similar feelings, it is/was OK! It's part of being human. I talked about while i have a great life it is SO not what I planned on, but it's OK and I'm "embracing" this new phase because we can put our faith and trust in God and have joy.

Being able to share these thoughts/feelings with others, including some of my dearest friends was such a tremendous opportunity and blessing!!! And all the kind words after, feelings, etc. really made me think that perhaps I done good in the ward, helped someone, made them smile, let them know I cared, served faithfully, etc. And in return, I felt SO loved. Unlike anything I have experienced before.

Exiting with a full heart while embracing the future!!!!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

So are you going to attend a family ward now?

I'm attending a 31-45 singles ward and it's fantastic.

Happy almost 31st birthday!