Saturday, June 28, 2008

A Year from Now.......

On Thursday I found out that the school where I have worked this past year will not be renewing my contract for the next year, so I am out of a job for next year.... There were no bitter feelings, the cooperating principal and cooperating teacher thought that I would work better with the primary grades (1-3) rather than the 4-6 graders I have been working with this year, and the school is not hiring for the 1-3 assistants next year. So that is the short version of how I came to be out of a job.....

It has been an intense past few 72 hours, as you can imagine. There moments where I honestly felt depressed, moments of smiles, hope, stress, etc. A big thanks to all the love and support I had the past few days- Marchelle, Adrien, Matt, Debo, Jess and Katie, Mom and Dad. Thanks to each of you individually for being there for me!!! I have definitely not been alone, and have felt loved from the other side as well!

I have learned a LOT the past few days, but I want to share an especially powerful lesson... In any bump in the road there is often a crucial mourning/grieving period, which I had, naturally. But in one of the happier moments I realized that I could stop and lick my wounds (and I had them believe me!) but that time would not stop for me.

I remembered back to last fall when I had started grad school and working, and how grateful that I had not let myself overly dwell on the student teaching ending so abruptly, but had made the choice to move on. Again, lots of gratitude! I remember how pleased I felt with myself with the events that had taken place after a major bump in the road!!!

I started to think on the question, "How do I want to feel a year from now?" At the moment, I just wanted to feel bad, but deep down I knew that a year from now I wanted to reflect on how blessed I had been and how far I had come... I knew that I hadn't reached a "stopping point"

The only thing that can keep you from moving forward is yourself!!! (And I mean that for me as much as anyone!!!)

No comments: