Wednesday, June 11, 2008

3 Songs that describe me

So, I don't think there are adequate words to describe what it feels like to leave after a 4 1/2 hr "Research Design" class.... Feelings that are somewhere between tiredness, feeling brain squished, and hopefulness that I learned enough! At any rate, I was riding home on Trax, listening to songs and thinking about blogging when I thought, "Hey! I'll write about favorite songs that describe me!" Thus, the following post was born.... Perhaps I was stuck on thinking about myself, but I did enjoy creating this! It's no surprise that I have plenty to say!

"Defying Gravity" from the musical "Wicked"
I'm through with playing by the rules
Of someone else's game
It's time to trust my instincts
Close my eyes: and leap!

I'm through accepting limits
''cause someone says they're so
Some things I cannot change
But till I try, I'll never know!

This song makes me think of my determination streak. I admit I take pleasure in surprising expectations! An experience that comes to mind is the unfortunate circumstances that led me to withdraw from BYU before I could finish student teaching and thus earn my teaching license. But now I am back in school, back in education, with love, support and help from above. You never know unless you try!

"My Little Girl" by Tim McGraw
You beautiful baby from the outside in.
Chase your dreams but always know the road that'll lead you home again.
Go on, take on this whole world.
But to me you know you'll always be, my little girl.

I am the baby of the family, youngest of six girls and a brother. However, this "baby" has also been to Taiwan for a year and is the first Litster daughter to enroll in grad school. I have been blessed to "stretch myself" for sure. But this girl also takes great pleasure in every smile she gets from her dad and waits for the hug and kiss from mom at bedtime. Somethings you just never grow too old for....

"Vienna" by Billy Joel
Slow down you're doing fine
You can't be everything you want to be
Before your time
You're so ahead of yourself
That you forgot what you need
Though you can see when you're wrong
You know you can't always see when you're right

It's no secret that I am a recovering perfectionist. It's sometimes much easier for me to see the good in others and then be too hard on myself. I have a such a strong desire to be better and conscientious that it can sometimes get in the way. Thankfully, with some life lessons and "defining moments" I feel much more at peace and comfortable in my own skin. Looking for, as the song says, those moments when "you're doing fine."

No comments: