Thursday, June 12, 2008

Library Happenings

Since kindergarten I have loved libraries. School, public, (are there any other kinds ?) etc. As young as first grade I remember wishing that library time was longer, as I would rather read than just about anything else during the school day. During the older grades, there was a mad dash to get the latest Baby-sitter's club book- if it was a new book, hardbound, you were a lucky girl!

I have many happy memories of my cousin Marchelle and I riding our bikes to the library, either on our own bikes, or riding double on her banana seat bike. Classic form of transportation! Then there was the time that I borrowed my Aunt Paula's library card and 3 weeks later still hadn't returned the book or had any idea where it was. Oops! While at BYU, when I wanted to relax I would go to the Provo library and read childhood favorite books. Some were classics and old favorites, others were that just required less thinking- (what I was going for) like Sweet Valley Twins, and some caused me to ponder questions- will Nancy Drew and Ned Nickerson ever tie the knot????

But lately I have another reason for loving the library- it's a great place to meet people, especially old friends! Well, as long as I go with Debo. She seems to be my lucky charm. I only run into people I know when I am with her.
The past three times with Debo at the library, I have run (gently) into three different people, all of which I have not seen for 7-10 years, who have moved away, but somehow ended up in Midvale and at the library. What a thrill!!! It's great to catch up and get answers to the "I wonder if...." questions.

And, according to the latest Nancy Drew, she is still a single woman. Oh, well!


Yeah for Libraries!!!!

No comments: