Tuesday, June 24, 2008

Birdseed and Wisdom

You are probably how birdseed and wisdom go together!!! Well, read on and I'll tell you....

It all started when I was reading in Alma 18:22, when Ammon is described as being "wise yet, harmless." It surprised me at first to see wise and harmless in the same sentence yet it is such a true statement! Wisdom has an amazing power to enlighten us, bring us peace, feel joy, and help others along the path of life. Yet if we choose to let it, wisdom can also bring us harm. If we focus too much on what "we" know and shut ourselves off to new experiences or stop being receptive we are at a loss. For example, if we chose to ignore the counsel of the prophet, and follow instead our own wisdom, we are no longer in a safe place. We put ourselves in harms way. Nor am I immune to any of these habits....

That being said, here's something I learned this past, and surprisingly enough, it has to do with birdseed!!! My parents and I went to see the play "The Curious Savage" which tells the story of a lady who wants to use her husband's inheritance to start a foundation for people to live out their foolish dreams. However, her 3 adult greedy stepchildren want the money for themselves, so they place her in an institution, where she meets charming characters, who know how to live life finding joy in each moment.

My favorite part of the play was the line where they are discussing the daily "Garden Hour" and a lady shares the time she planted birdseed and says, "Nothing came up, but it was a rich horticultural experience!" What I learned from that- take time in life to live out foolish dreams and experiences. Learn all you can just for the satisfaction, play with a child just because you can, do something harmless, yet fun just because you enjoy it! For me, finger painting with chocolate pudding is my equivalent of planting birdseed...

Live, Love, Laugh and Learn every day!!!!

1 comment:

Matthew Hansen said...

good thoughts, Litster.