Sunday, April 12, 2009

Skirts and Slacks and Scriptures and Sheep

As long as the weather stays relatively warm I am pleased to announce that I will no longer need to wear pants/slacks to work. They are being replaced with skirts and leggings- yeah!!!! Now, I realize that wanting to wear skirts instead of pants to work especially when you teach preschool..... is not exactly the norm. Nevertheless....

I have had my fill of trying to find pants that me well in the first place and then.... slacks that are either short enough or shoes that have just enough a heel- that the hems won't drag on the floor or that my feet won't hurt after standing in them and I can still chase after small children. Plus, I think skirts are more flattering anyway, as they just have a flat front instead of having to fuss with a big button/belt. Plus, I own more skirts than slacks anyway, and leggings will take care of modesty. So, welcome knee-length, colorful, skirts- that I can wear with flats!!!!

Continuing on with the "S" theme......

In an awake moment during institute class last week, I felt impressed to start sharing favorite scriptures and why they are my favorite. Here the first one: Mormon 5: 16-18
These verses compare the Nephites of the past who were "led by the Good Shepherd" compared the present-day Nephites, who are like a "vessel without direction" Though I have not yet engaged in murdering, stealing/plundering behavior, and don't believe that I ever will, this scripture still has a lot of modern-day application.

I found this scripture in a time when work and school were at a high busyness level. I found these verses when I had a rare, quiet night at home. I realized that my life at that time was "shooting from the hip" God kept trying to get through to me, but I kept telling Him to leave a message and I would get back to Him. I was not allowing myself to be led. Satan's tool of distraction, distraction of busyness, distraction of illness or emotional pain, even just a little.... at times can be too powerful.

So, after reading these verses I developed a motto which I now share with you: Be a sheep, not a vessel!!! And that is a lesson I am still learning, for myself. Yesterday I had an experience with myself that I got felt upset over something (now) small. Yet Satan worked at distracting me doing others things to help myself feel better. Which didn't, and finally I thought, "Why didn't I just kneel down and share my feelings with God when it first happened?! Even though it may be small, I know He still cares and wants to know about it.

Thank goodness for learning experiences!

No comments: