Sunday, April 5, 2009

Singing Amidst Protesters

Today I had a tremendous first-time experience- singing hymns just outside the gates of Temple Square, in the midst of protesters. I went with members of my singles ward, my cousins Maegan and Marchelle were there, too and I had the fortunate experience of bringing my 16 year old neice, Katie, with me (thanks, Jenn and Jim!) . I think were about 40 of us total, divided up into two areas.

We arrived at the Visitor's Center at about 3:00pm and were briefed by a member of church security, about the legalities of free speech and the free speech zone. For example, you can carry a sign while moving on the sidewalk, but the sign can't hit anyone. You need to stay on the grass or right against the edge of the wall/sidewalk. The main thing is that the sidewalk needs to be clear, if you stop, the police will ask you to keep moving. There was a great emphasis placed on following the rules as protestors will take pictures to ensure that rules/laws are being followed. There was a significant police force on hand as well as lawyers.

Anyway..... I know it sounds trite or cliche, but the spirit there was electrifying! It goes all the way from the top of your head down to your toes. My favorite hymn we sang was #263- Go Forth With Faith. It seemed to exemplify the purpose/message of the gospel and why we were there. Other favorite hymns we sang: How firm a foundation, I Know that My Redeemer Lives, We Thank Thee O God for a Prophet, and Praise to the Man. We sang for about an hour, but I truly wish that there could have been more!

My favorite part of the experience was seeing the expressions of the saints who walked by us as they were leaving conference. There were a lot of smiles, waves, thank you's, even some blew kisses. A lot of them were taking pictures with their camera phones.

But I truly felt blessed that I could be a small part in helping to solidify someone's conference experience. I can't wait to go back and do it again. And the protesters were mostly non-existent. A couple walked by with shirts and I could see a few signs in the distance, but I couldn't hear any yelling and no one directly walked by hoisting a sign.

Yet, despite different beliefs or attitudes we are all children of God and though I don't always agree with others beliefs, I hope to love the person, the individual as God does.

No comments: