Sunday, March 29, 2009

What Every Girl Needs....

Last January, my black dress shoes I'd had for 5+ years finally bit the dust.... I got by with a pair of gray heels for awhile, but with my desire and my roommate's encouragement, we agreed that I needed a replacement pair of black shoes. So, we went shopping together and I selected a pair of black dressy shoes with a 2 1/2+ inch wedge heel. Seriously high, but seriously fun to wear!

So, a week after I got the shoes I stopped by my sister Deborah's to drop off some things. We were chatting when Ashley (3 years old) came in from playing outside. I slipped off my shoes figuring she'd want to try them on. She did. She clomped around in the living room, managing to stay upright in the high shoes.

When she brought them back to me, I told her, half-serious and half-joking, "Now remember Ashley, what every girl needs is.... a good pair of basic black shoes." She nodded and told me, "OK.I go get some tomorrow."

I thought that was the end of it, but since then she has mentioned it to her mom several times and during one shoe shopping trip she was picking up shoes and saying, "Look, Mom. These are basic black shoes." I'm just glad her mom thinks it's funny instead of asking me why I enouraged her daughter in shoe buying!

Next fashion lesson: every girl needs at least one basic white shirt, to be worn under a sweater/jacket, etc and/or wear on its own. I say at least one in case you are like and are frequently washing your white shirts because they are the first to get dirty....

But again, I do believe that every girl needs.... a good pair of basic black shoes!

No comments: