Thursday, March 19, 2009

2 Unlikely Roles.....

Here are two "roles" I never thought I would have.... one was last summer, the 2nd is going on currently. First off, I am neither a skilled athlete or a math scholar.....

(1) Soccer referee, and before you gasp you must know that it was for children's soccer though the local rec center. The youngest kids were 3-5 yrs and the oldest group was 9-10. Thankfully, the first few games were with the older kids, so I basically followed their lead, until I could better remember the rules for myself...... I even got a whistle and an official black and white shirt!

The perks: GREAT exercise running up and down a field. Who knew? No one threw anything at me or cussed at me. In fact, a lot of parents thanked me after the games. Lots and lots of laugh. Like when I would blow the whistle for "out" and a preschooler is still pursuing a ball outside the boundary lines.... Also, my nephew was in the same league so I got to watch some of his games, as well. As a spectator.

(2)Tutor for a guy in my ward- he is studying for his GED.
Perks: Brushing off my math skills, spending time with a person of the opposite gender, good feelings of problem solving and trying to help someone, it's OK to say, "I don't know...." Thankfully, we will eventually move on to grammar, reading, spelling- much more my style.

Now your turn- which role surprises you more: soccer referee or math tutor???? It's OK to chuckle and be honest- I don't mind a bit!

No comments: