Sunday, March 29, 2009

Fun Night with Mom

Last Tuesday night I really enjoyed a fun night with my Mom. I accompanied her to speak at an RS function in Magna and then to the 2nd half of her Salt Lake Symphony Rehearsal.

My Mom gets nervous public speaking and, I think, underestimates how well she does at it. The theme she spoke on was "Unity in Sisterhood" Having lived in South America (twice) and the Philippines (once) it was an ideal topic for her. She shared several experiences, here are two of my favorites...

In my home ward, and my mom's current ward in Midvale, there were some big changes made about 4+ years ago. There is a place in Midvale called Life Start Village. It is home to women, children and families exposed to different troubles in life. Abuse, drugs, severe illness, etc. Life Start really not only helps people get back on their feet for the time being, but they learn life skills and strategies as well. Life Start became part of the Midvale 8th ward a few years ago.

The ward is somewhat of a "newlywed or nearly-dead" ward. And I say that with complete love and affection. I love visitng there because they are so many familiar faces that have seen me grow up. The ward has lots of newlywed apartment and the neighborhood is where people moved to raise their kids.... and stayed. Anyway, she spoke of the changes that have taken place, have given people opportunities to serve, her included. Sisters in their 70's watching little kids so that Mom can go to a parenting class and who help transport kids to and from preschool. It really made me stop and think, "What more can I give? Where can I contribute?"

The 2nd story: When my family lived in Ecaudor (2 years or so before I was born in UT) there was a family down the street who literally were raising 3 kids in a hut. The two older kids used to come to the front door and ask my mom, "We're hungry. Do you have anything we can eat?" According to my mom, she would "pat herself on the back" for passing out food to the kids through the front day.

But one day she came home and the nanny was in a tizzy, my mom soon found out why. She went in the 1st bathroom to find my older sisters giving the little girl a bath. Scrubbing her soap, washing her hair, playing, etc. In the second bathroom, the little boy was in the tub- along with my brother! By this point in time, the water wasn't so clear....

After the bath, my sisters took the kids to their rooms and completely outfitted them, shoes, socks, underwear, shirt, pants, etc. Then each child got to choose a toy to take home. As my mom said, "There's opening the gate, and then there's opening your heart." Boy, was I touched by this story.

After her talk, a heavenly dessert bar followed, and then onto symphony rehearsal. Although I admit I only attneded part of the rehearsal. There is a county library in the building where they rehearse and I selected and checked out 8 books! Include a library and I'll go with you anywhere!

I love you, Mom! Thanks for a fun night. Mihal Kita y que duermos con los angelitos.

1 comment:

cherilyn said...

i love that ecuador story. so cute, i don't think i would have ever thought to do that either. kids are amazing examples