Sunday, May 16, 2010

Salt Lake Children's Choir

One of the definite Highlights from this weekend was participating in the Salt Lake Children's Choir Alumni Choir as part of this weekend's 30th anniversary concert.
The choir and the Litster family go way back......

The director, Ralph B. Woodward, used to live in parent's ward when I was born. He lamented that there were no quality children choirs around and so he started his own. My two oldest sisters, Melanie and Jennifer were part of the first choir and concert. Since it was so new, funds were tight, and so instead of the white robe/shirts they wear today they wore their father's white dress shirts buttoned up and backwards. But the sound was fantastic!!!!
NOTE here- children in the choir start as young as 8 years old, how many 8 year olds do you know that can even sit still for a 90 minute rehearsal and for a concert, yet sing beautifully. Do a lot of 8 year olds come to mind???? Didn't think so......

In the past 30 years, all of my parents 7 children have been in the choir, 3 of my cousins, 1 of my nieces. It is truly a family affair.
Being in the choir gave me some fantastic opportunities: I got to perform in Abravanel Hall, Cathedral of the Madeline, sing for the Governer and Salt Lake City Mayor, at my elementary school, perform on tv with artists such as Kurt Bestor and Pete Seeger, record a cd, and more, all in just 8 years!!!!

I also made some great friends, got exposed to beautiful, classical music in a variety of languages from French to Spanish to Russian, etc. But I think perhaps most importantly it gave me a valuable connection to events and people that helped me navigate through me teen years. Even though I may not have been popular at school, had poor athletic coordination, etc. I still had a connection and tremendous opportunities. What every teen needs......

Here's to the SLCC!!!! check out the website at www.childrensing.com

No comments: