Tuesday, May 4, 2010

For My Nieces

There are a myriad of reasons why I went into the Special Education Master's Degree Program- and I am working on post to give that in more detail, I REALLY hope to get to it before graduation on Friday. We'll see.......

But for now, my motivation, and what I think about as I see myself crossing the stage on Friday, is my nieces. I have a great life and I am extremely blessed to be in such a good position financially, spiritiualy, emotionally, education-ly, healthy, etc. I have no regrets!

However...... I basically broke the family mold. My sisters all went to college, met husbands, got married, and graduated either/and/or married, engaged, pregnant or with a child. I.... have not, will not have that kind of experience. And yet I would be lying if I said that there wasn't satisifcation in doing something that none of my siblings have done, being the first makes it kinda fun.

Life is great, but you never know what is around the corner. Maybe my nieces will meet and marry young. Maybe not. Either way they have my full love and support. But maybe they will be in my position, being done with school, still single, needing to make decisions about how to create a great life for themselves, to be the family "breadwinner." Maybe they could take comfort in knowing that someone else has been in that position before. Maybe there will be a benefit to them because of my experiences.

So..... when I hear my name called on Friday and I walk across the stage,..... Annie, Sara, Lexi, Jessica, Katie, Grace, Allie, Sadie, Madeline, Lauren, Emma, Cora, Ashley..... I love you all, collectively and individually, lots and always!!! And this one's for you!!!!!!

2 comments:

Taresa said...

I love reading your blog Heather. You're such an great example of always thinking of others. Here you're accomplishing something great for yourself and you're thinking of your nieces and their future. You really impress me. Thanks for being inspiring!

K-Cos said...

Great post! I would have never thought of graduation (or any other major milestone in life as a single person) in this way. You are a great example to everyone! You're nieces are lucky to be related to someone so fabulous!