Monday, October 13, 2008

Laughing at Myself...

Laughing at myself is something I have been doing a lot of lately- here are some of my favorite, recent examples

  • Last week was end-of -month paperwork, I was so proud of myself for getting my immunization records in on one time- except..... I sent in last year's immunizations, instead! Thankfully, no harm done!

  • Ingrid, a girl in my class has a goal w/ Mom's support to learn/speak more English. I also got a new head start student last Thursday, and today they both wanted to play with same type of toys. I prompted Ingrid with, "Can you say, my name is Ingrid?" She looks up and with all sincerity, says, "Can you say my name is Ingrid?"
  • For one of my classes this semester I need to do a play-based assessment. Basically I am filmed playing with a student with special needs, watch the tape and analyze it. My teaching supervisor came last week to film us, but the minute the camera went on, I got nervous, thinking "This is my grade! Am I doing it how my teacher wants it?" So, of course I was less than natural, which didn't help his behavior. After he saw girls doing a puzzle he wanted to do- they didn't want to share- I suppose it was inevitable that despite my best efforts, a few minutes later he started screaming, loudly, "I DON'T CARE!" followed by throwing puzzle pieces. I looked up at my supervisor and simply said, "Cut!"

  • Since it is fall break at the U, I took some time after work today to run some errands. It had been a long day, and I seriously debated back and forth about whether or not to drop of my ink cartridges to get refilled, because she is going there later this week. I finally decided to go, an 18 minute walk from TRAX (folks were not at home) and as for the ink cartridges???? Well, they were still at my apartment! What else can you do but laugh????
Someday, when I experience my dream of being a motivational speaker for those with disabilities and other life challenges, I will say to the audience- "Laugh at yourself for as long as and as often as you can!"
It sure beats guilt and embarrasment.....

No comments: