Sunday, August 17, 2008

Service and Singing Laurels

First of all, I mean not at all to make light of this situation- but honestly, it's kind of fun when someone inquires about your plans and can tell them, "Sorry, I can't. I have to go help feed the homeless" And have it actually be true!

Yesterday a group of us from the singles ward went to a Catholic food kitchen in downtown Salt Lake, my first time there. There is a very special spirit about the place, only one man there is a paid employee, they rely on regular volunteers to keep the place going. The lone employee said he does love work when it bothers him when people complain about the food, when they ask for something different, etc. A lack of gratitude bothers him. A lesson I need to remember, as I am sure there are times when I forget to acknowldege my gratitude before the Lord.

I did a variety of tasks, add milk to a large vat with ground beef, but it was a mystery to several of us- what recipe requires several gallons of milk and seasoned ground beef??? About an hour later we learned what it was- gravy for biscuits! I also unpacked and loaded croissants in tubs to be covered with plastic wrap and put in the walk-in freezer. The first time I went in there, the door closed behind me and there was a moment of serious panic when I realized there was no doorknob! Thankfully, I just happened to push on the door and made it out safely!

I also wrapped forks in napkins, served scoops full of scrambled eggs, and sampled a biscuit.
I have never seen such large vats before, though! Thankfully I didn't have to stir, there was a height issue.... And there is something about seeing eggs and gravy made on such a large scale that makes your stomach turn for a bit..... But the biscuits were very light and flaky!

Now for the singing laurels- who insisted that the time would go by much faster if we sang and tried unsuccessfully to get all the adults singing camp songs with them- with classic lines such as, "Come on! Haven't you been to girls camp???" Don't get me wrong, I am a fan of girls camp songs, but in a catholic soup kitchen? Not so much... (I did sing in the car ride home, though! Group singing.) Still every time I heard strains of "Misty Song," "Spiderweb" "Walk Tall," I would try to remind myself, "God bless them for their enthusiasim!"

Can't wait to go back!

1 comment:

cherilyn said...

what a great service to do!