Sunday, August 17, 2008

Fireworks in the Rain





The celebration of Midvale City "Harvest Days" concluded with a concert in the park, the artist being Ryan Shupe and the Rubber Band. My soon-to-be roommate Dana came with me and we shared a picnic dinner of brie cheese and french bread, fruit salad and chocolate covered rice krispie treats. Dana doesn't know yet that I tend to have a rice krispie obsession.....

Later we were joined by others in our singles ward and we all enjoyed the concert together. This was my first time hearing Ryan Shupe's and I look forward to hearing his music again. The only down side was the threatening rain.... pause for dramatic effect... yikes!!! It rained sporadically throughout the night, but Nate Long lent me and Dana his smiley face umbrella so it wasn't so bad...

The real rain though, held off until the end of fireworks. Towards the end of Neil Diamond's "Coming to America" (classic song- I even know all the words from 4th grade) it started to pour, big, fat drops! We were soaked within minutes- but you know what? No one really cared! When else can you watch fireworks and get soaked at the same time?! I think it improved the quality of the fireworks, actually...

However, the rain would make you care if you were my friend Crystal, who had just bought a scooter the day before, driven it to the park that night. Without any rain gear, she faced a several minute drive home in the rain! Not ideal, but I called her later that night and she made it home OK, she just didn't make it home dry....

1 comment:

Angela said...

Hey Heather! LOVE LOVE LOVE the blog!!! I'm so glad you have one, now we can keep in touch - finally! I love the pictures too, you're so cute in your writing. It was so great to see you and your parents at the wedding, sorry I couldn't talk longer. You know how it is seeing old friends once every decade...
And congrats on your new job, and your exciting master's degree. You're so accomplished and doing so much good. Wow is all I can say. Please keep me posted on your life and I'll definitely check in to your blog. Give your big sis a hug from me! lots of love,
Angela