Saturday, July 13, 2013

Funeral Friday

Today was the funeral for my great-aunt Mary. Mary Helene Morley Schwendiman. She was 95 yrs old, lived a good, full life and just passed away of natural causes at the end. Marchelle along with Carsten attended the funeral together. We didn't get there to join the family processional into the chapel but her parents Paula and Russell saved us seats so we were able to join the family. Very nice. And Carsten did great! Towards the end he was playing with my headphones I had with me, trying to stick the plugged end somewhere.  

After every April general conference since I was born, we would all gather @ Aunt Mary & Uncle Rex's house after Priesthood Session.  Her house was magical. A huge green front lawn/hill to roll down, a backyard for playing red light green light. A red bedroom that was just special. A tv in the bathroom. Twisty steps and a huge green room. She gave the best hugs, always knew your name and something about you. I learned yesterday that she loved sewing and byu sports. They had one son, Rich; my moms cousin.

My great grandparents Joseph & Astrid had 8 children. The ones I knew best were my grandpa Robert/Bob and my aunts Betty & Paul, Mary & Rex. The others passed away before I was born or they lived out of state.

Sweet moments from the funeral-the 2 grandson prayers offered, SO sweet and sincere. Leaving no doubt how much they loved their great-grandma.

The Morley cousins musical number: seeing all my aunts & uncles & their cousins was stunning. I kept  thinking to myself..... These are my ancestors! How blessed am I?!?!

Relief Society sisters and compassionate service are simply amazing. Anywhere in the world. With ham, funeral potatoes, jello salad, birthday cake for Rich's 72nd birthday that day. When you thanked the sisters they'd say, "anything for Mary!"

Time with my sisters: last night I went with Deborah to the viewing. She told me about Saige turning anything into a microphone these days..... The other night it was a wooden spoon in her moms face, "Sing, Mommy!" Among the songs requested was "Child of God me." I am a Child of God. 
Then we stopped on the way home for Arctic Circle shakes- mine was twix and hers was Oreo mint.
Jenn drove me home after the luncheon and came in for a 2 minute home tour. Yay! I love getting to spend 1 on 1 time with my sisters, it's a luxury and I love it.

Family is Forever!

No comments: