Sunday, July 5, 2009

Being Christlike- A Must Read!!!!

I read this article in the Deseret News this morning. FYI- it's not a happy, feel-good article at first, though there was a reunion between a woman and the man who saved her life, a father and three children were killed in 1952.

So, why am I posting this? The mother in the story, Christal Litster Young Mathis, was my great-aunt. She passed away when I was (16?) but left an incredible legacy. She stood at 4'11, if that, had a head full of snow-white hair, always had a smile, a hug, always wanted to know how I was doing.

I can't begin to know or even imagine what it was like for that family, but I do know that Christal's example makes me want to be a better person, to not get so caught up in petty disagreements or other disgruntlements. Resolve, and then move on.

http://www.deseretnews.com/article/705314976/Tragedy-and-triumph-Utahn-reunites-with-officer-who-saved-her-life-when-dad-sisters-were-slain-in-1952.html

2 comments:

Cher said...

i read the whole thing. it was amazing. so sad, but so great too.

Shellee said...

I have heard this story all of my life. My mother, Shawna Minchey told me this story and that she knew the Litster family well as they were neighbors in Cleveland, Utah. My grandmother, Elva Wayne who died at age 96 two years ago often spoke of the Litsters and Billy Litster's store. We were all close to Bob and Ruth Litster, who were your aunt’s cousins and lived right next door to where the store had been. My mother rented a little cottage on this property when she was a young mother with four little children. This was very interesting to read about and a great example of forgiveness. I will be watching for the movie, hope it comes to fruition.

Shellee Luke

shelleeluke@hotmail.com


p.s. My mother had also told me that the people that murdered this family also murdered a woman, I think her name was Myrtle Monahan and that a woman named Barbara Graham helped them and was sentenced to death along with these murderers. This story was chronicled in the 1950’s or 1960’s movie starring Susan Hayward “I Want To Live”.