Sunday, July 5, 2009

A Beautiful Scene......

What a fabulous 4th! It began with a pool party at my aunt and uncle's. I stuffed myself on good food- Joe Morley's BBQ beans and potato salad, fresh fruit salad, chips and dips, pasta salad, burgers and hot dogs, rhubarb crisp (that my mom made- with my recipe) and in Grandpa Morley's honor: lemon pineapple sherbet.

After splashing, swimming and shooting hoops in the pool, we got cleaned up to hear the Salt Lake Symphony (the orchestra that my mom and Aunt Elizabeth both play in) perform and see the fireworks.

During the night, I kept looking around and feeling amazed and grateful at the scene around me. Me on the phone working out details with my future roommate (housing is not always easy here, but SO much easier than obtaining housing in other countries) my cousin sending/recieivng texts (communication is not restricted here as in other countries) officers out directing traffic (in other countries that I have lived in, traffic is not always enforced, bribes tend to be more importatnt.......) reading newspapers and magazines (freedom of the press), thinking about school (not only am I not restricted, but there are resources to help me get through school)

But the most touching part of the night? Sitting with my family, immediate and extended, watching beautiful and loud fireworks cracking and lighting up the sky, seeing my niecie and nephew, wrapped up in blankets, both fast asleep. (How they did that- I don't know.....) Realizing that at that moment I really had a not a care or fear in the world. I felt safe. I felt happy. Beautiful. Simply Beautiful.

No comments: