Sunday, September 14, 2008

Work Reflections

Here are some highlights of the first week of teaching at Head Start and also working as a family advocate for Head Start.
  • However crazy it might have been to schedule 17 home visits, arrange transportation, find the homes, etc I really enjoyed it! I met some wonderful families with stories- a mother who just got her pharmacy tech license, two parents who have degrees from University of Mexico but gave it up and moved here for their son. I loved, loved being able to use Spanish to speak with my families and appreciated their patience on my behalf.....

  • We were very well treated at the homes- at one home the grandfather served me and co-worker apple juice and pecan sandies. My co-worker said in Spanish, "this is just like a cafe!" To which I responded, in Spansish, "Lo siento. No tengo dinero con mi." I'm sorry I don't have any money with me. When the grandfather laughed, and I could crack a joke in Spanish. I felt very blessed! "Yes, we're communicating!"
  • In case anyone wonders what a family advocate does: lots of paperwork and filing, (which can actually be rather relaxing) talk with parents on a regular basis, make referrals for needed services such as food, clothing, shelter, health insurance, etc, hold monthly parent meetings.
  • There are a lot of things that I enjoy about my specific work site, and there are many blessings as well! First: I get freshly made breakfast, lunch and snack- and it's free!!!! Second, I don't have a "family advocate office" per se, but there is a staff office that I can use at my disposal, as well as a computer lab with large tables (where I can color, cut and arrange for lamination, etc) and free color printing!!!!
  • Another blessing is transportation. I don't have my own car (yet) but transporation thus far has not been a major stress. There is a bus route for any meetings that I need to go to, so I always have a back-up plan, but I have rides arranged for my weekly advocate meetings with another FA, and to get to my classes at the U, I ride with my good friend. She has the same grad classes as me and is the one who encouraged me to apply for head start in the first place. This is her 8th year at Head Start. Thanks, Amy!!!

No comments: